Sunday, April 15, 2012

Roasted Veggie Salsa



I love my garden!  It’s pretty small and I kind of cram stuff in there but this year it really came through for me.  I planted a lot of tomatoes even though I only have one child who will willingly eat them and Mike isn’t crazy about them either.  There’s just nothing as good as a tomato grown right out of the dirt of your own backyard!  I love having a lot of tomatoes and this salsa is one of the reasons why.  It goes great with my lowfat Doritos, Black Bean (Mud) Soup or any other Mexican food.


6 tomatoes halved and seeded
½ clove garlic (add more if you like)
1 onion cut into slices
1 jalapeño, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and stem removed (optional)
2-3 anaheim chili peppers cut lengthwise, seeds and stem removed
1 tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. salt
 Juice from ½ fresh lime
¼ c. chopped cilantro

Place all the vegetables on a greased baking sheet.  Broil for about 5-10 minutes until the skins are charred.  Turn the vegetables over to char both sides.  Let them cool for a few minutes and then blend in a blender.  Don’t liquefy this, you still want it chunky.  Add your seasonings, lime juice and fresh cilantro.  Adjust the salt and garlic to your taste.  This salsa has a warm, smoky flavor, a nice change from fresh salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment