Sunday, April 15, 2012

Low Fat Doritos


Okay, I admit I’m really excited about this one.  It’s kind of an epiphany I had today.  I was just driving home with my two youngest daughters in the car.  My two-year old had just spilled a take-out container of tomato soup onto a stack of library books.  The soup ran down onto the seat and into the crevice where the seat belts originate.  (Yeah, I know you are wondering why the two-year-old had the soup to begin with, so am I)  Anyway, this thought just came to me:  “why can’t I make lowfat Doritos?”  Now, I’m really not a chip kind of person but I live with seven other people who are.  My girls can clean out a bag of chips in a matter of seconds.  In fact, I potty-trained my third daughter in one day using a bag of Cheetos as incentive.  So when I got home, and after I cleaned tomato-basil soup out of every crack and crevice of the back seat, and cleaned up the stack of library books,   I went to work on this Dorito idea.  I think they turned out great!  In fact, six out of six of my children begged me to make a lot more.  I told them I would teach them how to do it and they could make their own! 
These pictures are of the original nacho-cheese flavor but I’ve included the recipe for Cool Ranch as well.  I used nonstick cooking spray, (aka PAM) to be honest, I use a lot of this stuff and I’m not really sure what it is.  I brushed a few test chips with olive oil to see if it would make a difference.  I couldn’t tell any difference between the nonfat cooking spray and the oil-brushed chips!  I hope your family enjoys these as much as mine did.  I actually felt good about giving my girls chips for an after-school snack!

Nacho-cheese seasoning:
4 T cheese powder (I have a huge can of this stuff, it’s the same cheese powder you get in boxes of mac-n-cheese)
2 T taco seasoning
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder

about 10 corn tortillas (I used white corn) cut into sixths

Spray BOTH sides of the triangles with cooking spray then dip into the seasoning so that  both sides are covered.

Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes (don’t let them burn).  Cool for a few minutes and dig into some salsa.  Enjoy!

Cool Ranch Seasoning:
1 envelope dry ranch dressing mix
1 T. Season-All
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. paprika   
As far as fat content goes, one corn tortilla has one gram of fat, the cheese powder has a very minimal amount.  I calculate that it takes about 6 chips to get one gram of fat!
My girls however, were disappointed that their fingers weren’t covered with that glow-in-the-dark, neon orange powder, but I personally think that’s a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment